Monday, December 21, 2009

The 12 Days of Christmas #7



We awoke to a heavy fog in our little valley yesterday. Bitter cold is soon to be returning and the cows are back in the routine of being well fed with several bales of hay each day.
"What a perfect morning to do a little cleaning, listen to A Prairie Home Companion and enjoy a hot cup of tea while Danish Cowboy takes the kids feeding with him," I thought naively to myself. (Above: Do you see them? Do you see them slowly plodding towards us?)
"You have to help me feed," Danish Cowboy lovingly says. The words break my trance. His brother has to go to church and can't help? During Advent? Then I have to hear all about how this self-proclaimed meteorologist I am enjoying my breakfast with and all of the other fake meteorologists before him have figured out that precipiation falls 90 days after a heavy fog. I'm not sure if light fog means a slight drizzle or flurry and heavy fog means a downpour or blizzard. I'll let you know in 90 days. If Danish Cowboy's weather predictions hold true, we are setting ourselves up for a house full of baby calves come March 20th as this is the time we are scheduled to start calving. I'll stock up on the air freshener. The cow apparitions finally become reality and they disperse into small groups to enjoy the hay that Danish Cowboy has spread across the prairie. They will parade into the feeding grounds over the next 10-15 minutes, some cows being hungrier and more aggressive than others. It amuses me to watch how they will stop at one pile of hay, take a bite, decide whether or not it suits their needs, then quickly move on to the next pile. Herd relationships also play a role in who is allowed to graze at a certain pile and who is not.
Eventually everyone settles down to their chosen hay and we gladly watch as they contentedly munch and crunch. Tucker Dog keeps an eye out for the tractor and his master as well as any snowshoe hares that might happen to cross his path. One of these things is not like the other.

It's my poor, starving horse. The cruelty of feeding the cows on one side of the fence and not giving Argo any of the goodies is just wrong, don't you think? Send your complaints to Danish Cowboy. I'm not in charge of the hay distribution around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment